16 Sept 2015

What makes for a good leader?

What makes for a good leader? The people were following Jesus because they were attracted to what he was doing and the things he was saying. Like the disciples we are often called into embarking on a faith journey by the example of someone else. Whether it is through our parents, a teacher or a close friend each of us can probably name that one person who believed in us and was prepared to walk with us. Like the disciples we can tend to believe that to be a leader you have to be the greatest and most competent person.  However, what makes a good leader is a person who has come to peace with themselves and can create room for others. This means that we need to discover that inner place where all the wars started inside us are brought to silence. If we believe that leadership is discovered solely in what we do rather than in who we are we start from the wrong end of the stick. Cardinal Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan said “I accept my cross and I plant it, with my own two hands, in my heart. If you were to permit me to choose, I would change nothing, because you are with me! I am no longer afraid, I have understood. I am following you in your passion and in your resurrection. (Five Loaves and Two Fish, 48)”

We need to discover that inner strength and resilience which allows us to bring out love instead of hatred, peace instead of war, and compassion rather than partiality. By reflecting on the conflicts that can rage in our own hearts we can discover a healing power which is not centered upon ourselves. By being reconciled within ourselves we can bring hope of salvation to others. This is the leadership that Jesus offers us to be at peace with ourselves so that we can be of service to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment