6 Jan 2016

Why my faith is important to me (My mother's reflection)

I have two memories from my youth that have periodically recurred to me. The first was a comment from my history master, that the best test of friendship was the ability to be comfortable with one’s friend in complete silence for an hour. At 16 we all thought this was utter nonsense, but now? I wonder! The second was a comment from Tim, one of my science students, a committed Catholic, who shared that it seemed to him that we only begin to know what life was about when it is time to die. I should have given him a much different answer now than the one I gave then, but I then was only some 8 years older than he, and puzzling myself
As a young scientist I had no difficulty in believing in a transcendent Creator God. The excitement of the discoveries in atomic physics, the incredible systems in the human body, the balances in nature, such as the carbon and nitrogen cycles could not have been arrived at by pure chance. And the exciting expansion of space exploration opened our young minds to the miracles of the universe and it’s Creator. And there were many scientific theories, none of which denied a creator; big bang or steady state?
But something was missing. How did humanity, including myself, fit into God’s plan? In the Christian community to which my family belonged much emphasis was placed on the Fall, and it was implicit that as a consequence we had to work and pray hard to earn again the love of the Creator God. An image of God developed, an anthropomorphic inversion of the original  Genesis story ,we ‘created God in OUR own image’ and God appeared as judgemental, punitive , loving us when we were ‘Good’ and removing that love when we were ‘Bad’ A frightening model!.  I pondered also at the past and present cruelties injustices and divisions among people who professed to be Christian. Humanity in the 40’s was struggling with the horrors of the Holocaust and Hiroshima. It seemed the Church had no answers to my many questions. I drifted from the Church and lived for many years following “the Golden Rule” (“do to others as you would have them do to you”) (Mat.7:12) and the prohibitions of the Decalogue (Ex 20.7-17). While a sense of God, though distant, was behind this moral code, still something was missing for me.
          A busy life, concerned mainly with family and scientific and teaching employment, moved on. Parents died, children grew up and employment opportunities brought us to Australia. Two of the children had already found comfort in the post-conciliar Catholic Church, and my work included teaching in Catholic schools both in England & here. In the gap of silence that followed our ‘desert experience’ as if by an invisible magnet, both Bob & I were drawn to the post Vat II Catholic church. Much reading and discussion followed; particularly we talked of the work of some of the Christian Mystics, such as Julian of Norwich, Therese of Avila and from modern times Evelyn Underhill.  The ideas of spiritual journey from blind faith to searching faith recurred and the need for contemplative silence was new to us. Above all we learned of the unconditional love of God and that in the Pascal mystery of Jesus’ death, Resurrection and Ascension, we learned we’d already been saved; so different from my early experiences and instruction.   The mystery of the transcendence and immanence of God came alive as in Luke 17. 21 “The Kingdom of God is within you”        Many experiences of God’s love began to dawn; one which I’ll share was especially powerful. When our 6 year old granddaughter drowned we were numbed beyond words and even emotions; as we farewelled her I felt invisible hands on my head and a profound peace came over me. We were being comforted by God’s love, and this came through our silent closeness to him at that time. This experience was reinforced as we reflected on Rabbi Kushner’s experiences described in “When Bad Things happen to Good People” as he shared his loss of his eldest son and drew benefit from the compassion of God, and he added the thoughts, shared with his communities, that our tragedies are not punishments from God
 Of the seven life-journey sacraments of the Catholic Church, the most powerful for me is the Eucharist. There is experience of Christ’s spirit being present among the community, the awareness that, though not perfect, we are forgiven and loved by God. Spoken and sung prayers of adoration and petition give a sense of both the transcendence & immanence of God; There is the prayer of listening to Scripture, from both Hebrew & Christian Testaments,  refreshed with fresh insights from scripture studies  in the light of modern scholarship. Many of the modern hymns are based on scripture, such as yesterdays from Isaiah 55 “Come to the Water” The newly revived prayer of silence which follows the touch of Jesus in the receipt of the Host gives a chance to experience deeply an awareness of God’s presence. And this Eucharist thanksgiving is celebrated every day in every country in the world. One of the Eucharistic prayers summarised my longing; “May we live in the joy of life in your presence”
One other reflection developed for me , reflecting on Jesus’ promise “ In my Father’s house are many dwelling places” (John 14;2) and this linked with my reading of the Vatican II documents, particularly “Nostra Aetate”, which urged unity between Christians, a deeper understanding of our own faith and an acknowledgement of the beauty and truth in other faiths. When Pope John Paul II invited world religious leaders to meet in 1986 & 1999, in Assisi and Rome to pray for peace together, he finished with the exhortation “Individually and together we must show how religious belief inspires peace, encourages solidarity, promotes justice and upholds liberty” 
  So I have learned that Faith is not static, but searching; experiential not merely intellectual, that there seems to be evidence of God’s spirit moving through and between the various world faiths as we begin to dialogue, and this brings Hope, and sometimes Love; but of the three gifts, Faith, Hope & Love  the greatest is that of Love.
So where I started, with Tim’s statement , I’d found that spiritual life is a journey , unending and that friendship with God can be experienced in the silence of Contemplative prayer as well as in more traditional prayer forms.
     I am 85 earth years old, but probably only half that in hope-of -heaven years, and still learning. Intellectual understanding has been part of the quest, but it is the spiritual longing for a deeper relationship with God is my goal.
A translated poem from the 14th century Turkish mystic, Rumi perhaps summarises better than I can

                   The intellectual quest is exquisite, like pearls and coral

                   But it is not the same as the spiritual quest
                   The spiritual quest is on another level altogether            
                   Spiritual wine has a subtler taste
                   The intellect and the senses investigate cause and effect
                   The spiritual seeker surrenders to wonder.

                             (Rumi Wisdom; trans. Timothy Freke)

No comments:

Post a Comment